Sunday, April 5, 2015

Gahan Wilson




Gahan Wilson is an author, cartoonist and illustrator best known for his horror-fantasy cartoon style. Many of his cartoons have been featured in Playboy, The New Yorker and Collier's over the last 50 years, as well as his own book collections. Among the many awards he has received over the years, in 2005 he was recognized with a Lifetime Achievement from the World Fantasy Awards and the National Cartoonists Society's Milton Caniff Lifetime Achievement Award. More recently, he was the subject of the documentary "Gahan Wilson: Born Dead, Still Weird".

I have been a fan of his work since I first picked up a copy of "I Paint What I See" years ago at a used book store. The single page cartoons were hilarious and I loved the style of his artwork.
Mr. Wilson was kind enough to do this drawing of Sherlock Holmes for me a few years ago and I could not have been more honoured. He has drawn Holmes for a number of his cartoons, but receiving an original drawing from him was a thrill of a lifetime.




No comments:

Post a Comment